The Bank of Ann Arbor Birminghelps campaign is an online event to provide charitable contributions to area non-profit organizations (see Section 1 for eligibility requirements).
The charities listed in the Nomination Period of Birminghelps have been invited by Bank of Ann Arbor and voluntarily entered, and must meet the following guidelines:
- Be a qualified public charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code and not subject to any U.S. sanctions
- Not be designated by IRS as a private foundation
- Be recognized as a 501(c)(3) public charity in Guidestar database as of May 15, 2017
- Have an annual budget of $5,000,000 or less
- Be based in and/or provide services in Oakland County, Michigan
- Able to use all Bank of Ann Arbor Birminghelps funds awarded to promote or benefit one or more of the following purposes: youth development, healthcare, housing, community development, the environment, alleviate hunger, arts and culture, human services and animal welfare.
A charity’s failure to maintain 501(c)(3) status will disqualify it from the Birminghelps giveaway or from receiving any or all of a contribution awarded through the program.
The sponsor reserves the right to disqualify organizations that are deemed to be:
- Tampering or attempting to tamper with the nomination or voting process
- Violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules
- Acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, harass any other person or act fraudulently in any manner.
Charities may also be deemed ineligible if, in the Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, a charity, its management or affiliated organizations:
- Is or has been, under any investigation for fraud, financial misconduct or other criminal activity
- Promotes or suggests, directly or indirectly, the use of firearms/weapons, any illegal drugs, prostitution or pornography, violence or the underage use of alcohol
- Suggests or encourages, directly or indirectly, the taking up of arms against any person, government or entity or otherwise challenge or seek to overthrow any government
- Discriminates against, disparages or denigrates any race, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, political orientation, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, veteran status or mental or physical disability or condition
- Disparages, denigrates, or acts by means of adversarial or confrontational tactics to impact a product, service, person, industry, or organization including, but not limited to, Sponsor or participants in the campaign
- Whose primary purpose is to advance a religious denomination, expand membership or encourage conversion
- Supports or promotes the pro-life or pro-choice movements
- Spends a significant amount of time advancing a particular political party or candidate or supporting lobbying for any particular party, candidate and/or cause, or expanding or encouraging a membership or a particular political party, candidate or lobbying effort
- Is a post-secondary educational institution or an associated alumni association, fraternity or sorority.
- NOMINATION PERIOD
From September 11, 2017 to September 24, 2017 users will be allowed to select a local charity or organization from the provided list (See Eligibility, Section 1) to receive a percentage of the final Birminghelps contribution through the Bank of Ann Arbor Birminghelps Facebook application. The top fifteen organizations, based on number of nominations received, will participate in the voting phase of the campaign. Only those fifteen selected charities will receive Bank of Ann Arbor Birminghelps funds. Organizations are subject to Sponsor review and must meet eligibility requirements to participate.
- VOTING PERIOD
From September 29, 2017 to October 12, 2017, users will be allowed to cast votes (limited to one (1) vote per day per user) for their charity of choice from the top 15 identified in the Nomination Period described above. The maximum total contribution from the Bank of Ann Arbor is $75,000.00. Final distribution of the funds is at the sole discretion of Bank of Ann Arbor.
- DISTRIBUTION OF FUNDS
The total amount in the Birminghelps fund available for distribution will be $75,000. Funds will be distributed as follows: the top 5 vote getting organizations will receive $10,000 each, the next 5 organizations in voting rank order will each receive $3,500, and the final 5 organizations in voting rank order will each receive $1,500.
Birminghelps contribution recipients will receive IRS form 1099 and there may be tax implication for recipients. Sponsor recommends that participating charities determine their potential tax liability, if any, in connection with receiving funds in relation to the Bank of Ann Arbor Birminghelps campaign. Any tax liability will be the sole responsibility of fund recipients.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS
If for any reason the Birminghelps campaign is not capable of being administered as planned, including without limitation, lack of sufficient number of charities and/or user interaction to support the continuing of the campaign, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the campaign, or for any reason Sponsor deems that the campaign is not meeting the expected goals, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion to cancel, modify or terminate the campaign.
Information submitted by users as part of the Birminghelps Facebook application may be used by Bank of Ann Arbor to promote the Birminghelps activity, application, or results on Facebook, Twitter, its web site, radio, print or other media. Bank of Ann Arbor may use information collected as part of the activity to provide updates for new Facebook activities as well as bank services, products and events. This information will not be shared, rented or sold to any others. Information may be viewed by Bank of Ann Arbor and its agency, Perich + Partners.